Our mission is the promotion of scientific research, the diffusion of scientific knowledge, and the unification of scientific interests in Illinois.
- President - Laura Corey, Illinois College, email@example.com
- Vice Presidents for 2018 Annual Meeting - Millikin University
- Student Grants Director - Travis Wilcoxin, Millikin University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary - Rick Essner, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, email@example.com
- Treasurer - Amy Hubert, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Editor-in-Chief: Lesa Davis, Northeastern Illinois University, email@example.com
- Past President: Gary Bulla, Eastern Illinois University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair also serves as Section Editor for Transactions
- Agriculture: Daniel Atherton, Western Illinois University, email@example.com
- Anthropology & Archaeology: Lesa Davis, Northeastern Illinois University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Botany: Judy Parrish, Millikin University, email@example.com
- Cell, Molecular, & Developmental Biology: Thomas Fowler,Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemistry: T.K. Vinod, Western Illinois University, TK-Vinod@wiu.edu
- Computer Science: Jim McQuillan, Western Illinois University, email@example.com
- Earth Science: Jim Riley, Eastern Illinois University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering & Technology: Rafael Obregon, Western Illinois University, R-Obregon@wiu.edu
- Environmental Science: Kyong-Sup Yoon, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, email@example.com
- Health Sciences: James Cain, Aurora University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Microbiology: Kai (Billy) Hung, Eastern Illinois University, email@example.com
- Physics, Mathematics, & Astronomy: Casey R. Watson, Millikin University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- STEM Education: Jessica Krim, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, email@example.com
- Zoology: David Jennings, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, firstname.lastname@example.org
ISAS was founded in 1907, with its organizational meeting held in Springfield, IL on December 7, 1907. Every year since, an annual meeting of the Illinois State Academy of Science has been held at varying locations around the state. Likewise, the Academy's refereed journal has been published continuously since its inaugural first volume in 1908.
At that opening meeting, Professor T. C. Chamberlin spoke on The Advantages of a State Academy of Science. Documentation of the opening address is showcased in the first volume of Transactions, the peer-reviewed journal of the Illinois State Academy of Science.
Professor Chamberlin's address began with a brief history of the preceding 50 years that led to the emergence of ISAS and its journal. As Professor Chamberlin noted, one of the primary values of a scientific academy was the publication of research, and thus publication of Transactions beginning in 1908 began. Yet a venue for published research was only one of the advantages, with Professor Chamberlin noting also the importance of having an annual meeting where fellow scientists could mean, present work, and share idea. That initial meeting of the Illinois State Academy of Science in 1907 has continued on an annual basis since, continuing Professor Chamberin's emphasis of a "means of disseminating the spirit, the method, and the love of science among the people of the State." Professor Chamberlin closed his address "with an earnest advocacy of the value of the spirit and method of science to the state and nation as an essential element" in solving problems and creating solutions with an ending note that "more than anything else ... the intellectual and moral methods of science are a protection against current evils and a guarantee of safety in the future."
We welcome you to explore our website, search our article database, soon back even to the original 1908 issue, learn more about us, and find value in joining our organization, publishing in our refereed journal, and presenting at out annual meeting.
Please use our Contact Us page. In addition, the physical address of the ISAS Home Office is:
Illinois State Academy of Science
Research & Collections Center
1011 East Ash Street
Springfield, IL 62703
Executive Secretary: Robyn Myers, email@example.com
ISAS Email: IllinoisStateAcademyofScience@gmail.com